Posted on 2020-12-30
Vanilla Cake Layers
- 2 cups + 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour (276 grams)
- 2 cups granulated sugar (400 grams)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder (6 grams)
- 1/2 tsp salt (3 grams)
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (150 grams) – 1 and 1/3 sticks
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract (4 grams)
- 2/3 cup egg whites (or about 5 egg whites) (185 grams)
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature (240 grams)
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil (14 grams)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200 grams)
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature (84 grams)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream, room temperature (76 grams)
- 1/4 tsp table salt (2 gram)
Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting
- 2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature (434 grams)
- 7 cups powdered sugar (907 grams) – or a 2 lb bag
- 1 tsp table salt (6 grams)
- 1 Tbsp heavy cream (or whipping cream) (15 grams)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (4 grams)
- 1/3 cup of caramel sauce – recipe above (108 grams)
Vanilla Cake Layers:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 8 inch pans with parchmen and grease pan.
- Mix together all dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt) until fully combined.
- Mix chunks of room-temperature butter slowly into the dry mix, on a low speed. Continue to mix until no large chunks of butter remain, and the mixture becomes crumbly.
- Pour in egg whites, and mix on low until just incorporated. Mix in the buttermilk on a low speed.
- Add in vanilla extract and oil, and mix at a low speed until fully incorporated.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula, then beat on medium speed for about 30 seconds.
- Divide batter evenly between the prepared cake pans.
- Bake for ~28-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting